Thursday, November 18, 2010

Does it look like me?

We had our first ultrasound yesterday. Everything is looking totally fabulous. You cannot imagine my relief. I actually had a few tears slip out my eye as the tech moved that wand over my belly. The relief. The overwhelming sense of calm that swept over me was indescribable.

It’s funny that we women, mothers to be in this day and age, are so dependent upon these ultrasounds. We find ourselves not really believing we are with child until we see that baby on the screen. We build up unnecessary anxiety within ourselves about if the baby is positioned right, has two arms, a neck that is the right thickness, two hands, whatever our personal conviction may be, only an ultrasound can resolve our fears. What did women do say 30 years ago? When ultrasounds were few and far between and not everyone received them. And even then they were not all that reliable. How did they cope? What did women do 50 years ago when Oh my goodness you just didn’t know anything until that baby was born. Wow!

I find myself lucky. I count my blessings. I am thankful that I live in an age where I can go in and see my little 11 week old baby wiggle around, forming, growing and becoming the baby I will hold in a few months. I am grateful for the technology that can place my mind at ease and allow me some comfort in this baby making game. But I also find myself wondering, Would I be so neurotic and have such a need to see this baby if I didn’t know the technology was available. Would I instead be calm, cool, and collected and go about my day without the constant obsessing over what is going on inside my tummy?

I have no idea honestly what I would feel like. But it is a pretty interesting idea to ponder. Women have been birthing babes for thousands of years, going through entire pregnancies without a screen shot to calm their fears, and humans are still here. I find it fascinating how dependent we have become upon these technologies to give us comfort. And I will be the first to say, I NEED the comfort! What about you?

That all being said, allow me to introduce the newest addition to the Pink Haired Momma clan, Critter2! Looks just like me huh?


Photobucket



2 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh......What a fun pic! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only these things came in color I could see if Critter2 had your hair.
    ;)
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something Fabulous...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin