Thursday, September 23, 2010

Surprises and Awkward moments

Lets talk about families for a second. It is no secret that I am the product of a divorced family. My parentals split up many many years ago and both subsequently remarried. These re marriages brought me new siblings. Over the years I have been estranged from my dad and the siblings he brings to the table. Baby DIVA, however, in all her glory, has brought a close to the estrangement and in her nearly two years she is providing a a bridge to reach our lost family.

I find it awkward at times, but not in a bad way. I feel a great deal of affection for my siblings, but I don't really know who they are. We have spent so many years apart and although I love them very much much I do not really know how to bond with them, talk to them, and it causes some weird and awkward moments. But I have really enjoyed the times I have spent with them and I sure hope that over time we can heal wounds and merge into one anothers life.

In the mean time I will continue to have the fabulous opportunities to share with you the great moments in time we experience. Like this fabulous little story. So Last night was my Dads 60th Surprise Birthday Party. My siblings are there, we smile and say Hello. We know a bit about each other from Facebook and emails, but that is about it. I know one of my brothers has a girlfriend whom i met last Christmas and that I like her really well. So I go up and ask him how she is doing. Well, he responded with "I don't know". In an instant I felt like an ass, like I must have not know they split up or something. BAD Sister. Then he followed it up with "You have to ask Nick". NICE I asked the wrong brother. Nothing says you need to work on your relationships like not knowing which brother is which!

My dad may have turned 60 and had a great surprise party. But I walked away with the winner sporting the Worst Sister in the World award! Go me!



Happy Birthday Granpa Rou! I know you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me something Fabulous...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin