Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Pinto Bean Cake

Domesticated Pink Haired Momma has been fooling around in the kitchen, Yet again. Seems to be a lot of cooking going on in my house lately! As I have mentioned previously, H4L and I are really try to evict our flab rolls. They have been given official notice, and are thus packing their lives up and preparing to move on out! As much as we love their company they gotta go. Its kind of like relatives. you sure do love them, but after a while they begin to weigh you down! So anyway, I have been on the hunt for all kinds of fabulous recipes to stimulate our senses and sway us in the healthy direction of leanness. The other day while staggering through allrecipes.com , again, I came across and interesting dessert.

Pinto Bean cake
hmmmmm...

Definitely ticked my fancy. I thought, "I sure do have to give that a whirl". So I grabbed me bag of dry pinto beans from the good old stocked pantry and got them to soaking. Gave them a good cooking in my trusty cast iron pot and then took this...



and turned it into this...


via this fabulous recipe!

Ingredients
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 egg
2 cups cooked pinto beans, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup golden raisins
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 cups diced apple without peel

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Grease one 9 or 10 inch bundt pan. (I used a pie pan as I seem to have lost my bundt pan)
Cream butter or margarine and sugar together. Add the beaten egg and mix well. Stir in the mashed cooked beans and the vanilla.
Sift the flour, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, and ground allspice together. Add the chopped pecans, golden raisins, and the diced apples to the flour mixture. Stir to coat. Pour flour mixture into the creamed mixture and stir until just combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.


*Recipe states you can dribble with confectioners sugar icing and serve with candied cherries and pecans. I didn't. We just sliced and ate it up! And it is FABULOUS!!! Protein packed dessert. Hello! It does not get any more perfect than that! Try it! Don't freak because its beans in a cake. It is sweet, light, and super delicious!! You can cook it, feed it to friends, then watch their reactions when you tell them what it is!! That is what I did to H4L! Hilarious I tell you! Hilarious!

3 comments:

  1. I never would have guessed you could make a pie out of beans. The finished product looks tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooohhhh!!! I had this somewhere when I still lived back in New Orleans and some lil' Mom & Pop diner - and it was doused in caramel sauce and nuts. It's so good it's insane. I had forgotten all about it 'til now. Thanks so much for the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something Fabulous...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin