A friend of mine shared this incredibly sneaky brownie treat. She found it in the Deceptively Delicious cookbook. And I tell you I was intrigued and quickly whipped this up to see if in fact I could sneak veggies in with dessert! And YES I can! It is divine! My whole family loved it and this will be a regular in our household.
Spinach and Carrot Brownies
Non stick cooking spray
3 oz. semi or bittersweet chocolate
1/2 cup carrot puree (about 2 carrots)
1/2 cup spinach puree (a couple handfuls)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 T margarine spread
2 tsp. vanilla
2 large egg whites
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
This really does end up as a yummy chocolate treat!
* Preheat oven to 350 - Coat an 8x8 baking pan w/cooking spray
* Melt the chocolate in a double broiler or over a very low flame
* In a large bowl, combine the melted chocolate, vegetable purees, sugar, cocoa powder, margarine, & vanilla. Whisk until smooth & creamy, 1 to 2 min.
* Whisk in the egg whites. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt w/a wooden spoon
* Pour the batter into the pan and bake 30-40 min. Cool completely before cutting.