Monday, March 29, 2010

Monday: A new week a new recipe

A friend of mine shared this incredibly sneaky brownie treat. She found it in the Deceptively Delicious cookbook. And I tell you I was intrigued and quickly whipped this up to see if in fact I could sneak veggies in with dessert! And YES I can! It is divine! My whole family loved it and this will be a regular in our household.


Spinach and Carrot Brownies

Non stick cooking spray
3 oz. semi or bittersweet chocolate
1/2 cup carrot puree (about 2 carrots)
1/2 cup spinach puree (a couple handfuls)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 T margarine spread
2 tsp. vanilla
2 large egg whites
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Photobucket
This really does end up as a yummy chocolate treat!
Photobucket
* Preheat oven to 350 - Coat an 8x8 baking pan w/cooking spray
* Melt the chocolate in a double broiler or over a very low flame
* In a large bowl, combine the melted chocolate, vegetable purees, sugar, cocoa powder, margarine, & vanilla. Whisk until smooth & creamy, 1 to 2 min.
* Whisk in the egg whites. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt w/a wooden spoon
* Pour the batter into the pan and bake 30-40 min. Cool completely before cutting.

Photobucket




3 comments:

  1. How did you make spinach and carrot brownies look good?
    I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Thank you! Now I can have the recipe without buying the book. And, you know what, "they" really need to make Easy Mac cups with hidden veggies in the sauce too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of this...you really can't taste the veggies? My hubby and kids would probably freak if I tried it (doesn't mean I won't LOL).

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something Fabulous...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin